Rebuilding of Mewar Dynasty-II

The orange turban
Another legend: An orange turban in Udaipur's City Palace Museum is said to be a souvenir of an unusual friendship in Mewar's long history.
Karan Singh (1620-1628) became the new Maharana when his father Amar abdicated. His dynasty, the suryavanshis (children of the sun), had always retained its long reputation of independence against all odds. However, because of his father's submission to the Mughals, Karan Singh was to be the last independent king of Rajputana. Karan had often proved his valor and gallantry in battles commanded by his father, Amar Singh; soon he was to show capability in repairing the damage of former adversities.
Mewar was now at peace for the first time after a number of generations. Its finances, almost bankrupted by Pratap Singh's ongoing warfare with the enemy, began to recover.
A man of vision, Maharana Karan began rebuilding his capital. He added many rooms, courtyards and halls to the City Place, the most prominent being the Dil Kushal, its walls decorated with mirrored glass.
He constructed the Zenana Mahal (Palace of the Queens) at the southern end of the complex, for the private use of the court's ladies. The city's walls were fortified; Lake Pichola's dam was strengthened and the lake enlarged.

His crowning achievement, in 1622, was the start of a wonderful pleasure palace on an island in the lake. (It was subsequently called Jag Mandir, when it was completed by Karan's successor, Jagat Singh). One year later, still unfinished, it became a royal refuge for Karan's long-time Mughal friend, Prince Khurram.

Share this

Related Posts

Next Post »